Introducing the FUJIFILM X-A3, the stylish selfie-optimised mirrorless digital camera
Combining a new 24.2 megapixel sensor with the X Series' signature skintone reproduction technology for advanced portraiture, the new slide and tilt mechanism on the rear LCD screen provides 100% visibility, even when the panel is tilted by 180 degrees.
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is delighted to announce that it will launch the FUJIFILM X-A3 in September 2016. Designed with the younger generation in mind, the X-A3 is perfectly suited to taking self-portraits thanks to an LCD screen that is not blocked by the camera when tilted by 180 degrees, thus helping to maintain 100% visibility. Other features such as Eye Detection AF are designed to improve self-portrait shooting even further, and the new Portrait Enhancer mode includes the option to brighten skintones. The camera can shoot approx. 410 frames per charge, and, when fitted with the supplied lens XC16-50mmF3.5-5.6 OIS II, it can focus on a subject at a distance of approx. 7cm from the the lens. It joins the X Series of mirrorless cameras that offer outstanding image quality with the company’s proprietary colour reproduction technology.
Combining a newly-developed sensor and colour-reproduction technology that has been refined over 80 years to deliver premium-quality portraiture
The X-A3 combines a newly-developed 24.2 megapixel APS-C sensor with the image processing engine to achieve Fujifilm’s excellent photo quality. Combined with the supplied FUJINON lens which boasts ultimate image resolution, to deliver outstanding image quality, recording your subject’s texture, form and even the atmosphere of the scene. The camera excels particularly in reproducing skin tones, making it the best choice for capturing people, which account for around 40% of all subjects in general photography*1. The Film Simulation function offers 11 modes, including newly-added ''PRO Neg.Hi'' and ''PRO Neg.Std.''
*1 According to Fujifilm data (X-A2 user survey)
180-degree slide-and-tilt LCD with 100% visibility for facilitating self-portraits
Even when tilted by 180 degrees, the LCD is not blocked by the camera, allowing for 100% visibility. The grip is shaped to accommodate both normal shooting and self-portraits. When taking a self portrait, users can focus and release the shutter by pressing the vertical command dial (located directly below the index finger), so as to minimise camera shake. Rotating the tilting LCD upward by 180 degrees activates the Eye Detection AF to automatically adjust the focus on the subject’s eyes. The Portrait Enhancer mode offers three-step adjustments with the new skin-tone brightening function so users can enjoy self portraits of premium quality, only possible with the X Series of cameras.
Stylish, retro design, enhanced texture and touchscreen LCD
The X-A3 sports a retro, stylish design that appeals to the younger generation. The retro feel gives a fresh and fashionable impression. The top cover, front plate and top dials are made of aluminium. The newly-developed faux leather has significantly enhanced the overall texture. The camera is available in silver, brown or pink. The LCD on the rear uses a touchscreen to enable Touch AF, Touch Shoot and Touch Zoom, in which you use the pinch-out finger gesture to use a prime lens as if it is a zoom lens.
Outstanding image quality, made possible by a combination of the newly-developed 24.2 megapixel image sensor, the image processing engine that achieves Fujifilm’s excellent photo quality, and the FUJINON lens that boasts ultimate image resolution
- Fujifilm’s colour reproduction technology, nurtured through the development of photographic film, reproduces accurate, warm skin tones, clear blue skies and lush green foliage in tones as you remember them in your mind.
- The X-A3 offers a total of eleven Film Simulation modes. Enjoy Fujifilm’s original expressions of tonality, such as the true-to-life colours of PROVIA (standard), the vibrant tones and saturated colours of Velvia (vivid), the soft tones of ASTIA (soft) or the documentary-style tones of CLASSIC CHROME. Monochrome and Sepia modes are also available.
- The APS-C sensor delivers beautifully smooth bokeh effects for portraiture and macro shots when using a shallow depth of field.
The normal sensitivity range covers ISO200 to ISO6400, while extended sensitivity settings of ISO12800 and even ISO25600 can be selected when you want to minimise camera shake. The X-A3 produces clear images with astonishingly low noise, even on low-light nightscapes and indoor shots where high ISOs are essential.
- The Advanced Filters easily produce creative effects. A total of ten Advanced Filters are available, including the new Fisheye and Cross Screen as well as Toy Camera, Miniature, Dynamic Tone, Pop Colour, Soft Focus, High Key, Low Key and Partial Colour.
Five mechanisms for facilitating self portraits
- The rear LCD employs the slide-and-tilt mechanism so that it is not blocked by the camera body when tilted by 180 degrees to maintain 100% visibility. You can view the entire screen for precise composition.
- The grip is shaped to accommodate normal shooting and self-portraits alike. The final shape, based on ergonomic design, was decided through prototype testing involving hundreds of young photographers.
- When taking a self-portrait, you can focus and release the shutter by pressing the vertical command dial you can find directly below your index finger, so as to minimise camera shake.
- The Self Timer function newly offers Smile Detection, Buddy Timer and Group Timer modes. Even without having to press the command dial or release button, the shutter is released when subjects smile, when two people come close together, or when a specified number of people comes into the frame.
- Rotating the tilting LCD upward by 180 degrees activates the Eye Detection AF to automatically adjust the focus on the subject’s eyes.
- The Portrait Enhancer mode now offers three-step adjustments, using touchscreen operations. The addition of the skin-tone brightening function takes your portrait photography to a new level.
Retro design and sophisticated functionality
- The X-A3 sports a stylish, retro design that appeals to the younger generation. The design gives a fresh and fashionable impression.
- The top cover, front plate and top dials are made of aluminium. The newly-developed faux leather has significantly enhanced the overall texture
- The use of two Command Dials means the user can quickly and easily adjust aperture, shutter speed and exposure settings. Frequently used functions such as white balance, continuous shooting and the self-timer can be assigned to standalone function buttons, eliminating the need to go through the Menu screen.
- The LCD on the rear uses a touchscreen to enable Touch AF, Touch Shoot and Touch Zoom, in which a pinch-out finger gesture can be applied to use a prime lens as if it is a zoom lens.
Extended battery life of approx. 410 frames per charge
- The energy-efficient design has extended the battery life to a class-leading level, allowing the user to concentrate on shooting pictures without having to worry about remaining battery power.
- The supplied USB cable enables users to charge the camera directly from an AC adapter, computer or portable external battery.
Class-leading minimum working distance (approx. 7cm from the front edge of the lens) and Super Intelligent Flash
- When fitted with the standard lens, XC16-50mmF3.5-5.6 OIS II, the X-A3 can approach a subject up to the class-leading distance of approx. 7cm from the front edge of the lens to enable macro photography.
- The built-in pop-up flash supports the Super Intelligent Flash system that accurately controls light output according to individual scenes. When shooting indoor portraits in low-light, small items or food, the flash system reduces highlight clipping to produce images exactly as your eyes see them. Natural colours and brightness are also achieved when shooting backlit scenes or photographing a person under intense sunlight that casts strong shadows on the face.
Full HD video recording
- Press the dedicated Video Recording button on the rear to easily start recording full HD (1080/60p, 50p, 24p) video.
- The Film Simulation function, popularly used for still images, can also be applied to video recording for a diverse range of creative effects, which can be combined with smooth bokeh, made possible with the APS-C sensor and fast lens.
- Turning on the electronic image stabilisation function delivers the five-axis image stabilisation that combines optical and electronic stabilisation, significantly reducing a variety of camera shakes that could occur during video recording. This function allows you to record high quality video with reduced camera shake while walking around with the camera in your hand.
Enhanced Autofocus settings
- The focus switching lever at the front lets you instantly switch between AF-S (single), AF-C (continuous) and MF (manual focus).
- Choose any one of 49-point focus areas for AF in the Single Point mode. The X-A3 has been added with the Zone and Wide / Tracking modes, which use the 77-point focus areas to capture the decisive moment of a moving subject.
- Other new functions include ''Release Priority / Focus Priority'' and ''AF+MF.
Versatile shooting functions including the electronic shutter with the maximum speed of 1/32000 sec
- When using the ultra-fast electronic shutter, even under clear skies or other bright conditions, you can use large aperture to achieve a shallow depth of field for smooth bokeh without over-exposing the image. You can capture a scene exactly as intended without having to use an ND filter.
- Due to popular demand, the X-A3 now features the Panorama and Time Lapse functions.
- Other new functions include the interlocking of Metering and AF areas, support for the Adobe RGB colour space, and choice of different colours in Focus Peaking for assisting MF.
Wireless communications functionality to enable remote shooting from smartphones and tablet devices*2
- Download the free FUJIFILM Camera Remote app to your smartphone or tablet device and use the Wireless Communications function so that you can transfer photos and videos to your device with a simple one-touch operation without having to enter ID or password. It is also possible to view and select photos and videos in your camera on your smartphone and import them to your smart device. You can even attach location information, obtained by your smart device, to your images.
- The Remote Shooting function lets you focus and trigger the camera release or even adjust exposure and other settings from your smartphone or tablet device. With Remote Shooting, the app not only offers basic operations such as Touch AF and shutter speed adjustment, but also lets you adjust a variety of shooting settings or initiate video recording. It is useful for group photos, self-portraits or even wildlife photography so that you can compose your shot from a distance.
mages can also be sent directly from the camera to the Instax SHARE smartphone printer for instant printing.
- The camera is Wi-Fi® enabled*3 to easily back up in-camera data to your computer*4.
*2 AndroidTM smartphones and tablet devices as well as iPhones and iPads
*3 Wi-Fi® is a registered trademark of Wi-Fi Alliance®.
*4 The free FUJIFILM PC AutoSave software must be installed on your computer in advance.
All sample images: Norifumi Inagak
AVAILABILITY AND PRICING:
The X-A3 will be available exclusively from Jessops from the end of September 2016
FUJIFILM X-A3 and XC16-50mmF3.5-5.6 OIS II kit - £599
Available in three colours: PINK, BROWN and BLACK
1st Published 25 August 2016 08:45 Posted by Ben Jones
last update 11/10/2018 11:18:09
The Societies of Photographers Convention and Trade Show at The Novotel London West, Hammersmith ...
You have 240 days until The Societies of Photographers Convention starting on Wednesday 22nd January 2020