The Haycock Hotel
Wansford Wedding Venue
The Haycock Hotel
tel:- 01780 782 223
fax:- 01780 783 508
web address:- www.thehaycock.co.uk
The Haycock Hotel :-
Venue type - Hotel
Venue type - Restaurant
Venue type - Inn - Pub
Venue type - Historical Building
Venue type - Civic Hall
Venue type - Historic Building
Venue type: Ball/Conference centre
Number of function rooms available for weddings: 5
Function room names and capacities:
The Haycock Ball room
240 sit down
60 sit down
32 sit down
28 sit down
18 sit down
Guests rooms available: 48
Honeymoon suite available: 9
Garden suitable for marquees: 2
Choice of wedding breakfast menus - Yes
Alcohol License - Yes
Toastmaster Available - Yes
Entertainment Available - Yes
Dedicated wedding planner available - Yes
Licensed for Civil Ceremonies -Yes
Dance Floor - Yes
Evening Reception Facilities - Yes
Car Parking Facilities - Yes
Tables chairs linens and tableware included
Entertainment is available: agent provide entertainment
Wedding services provided: Civil Ceremony
Gardens or outside locations suitable for wedding photography: Yes. 2 beautiful hotel gardens.
Suitable locations inside the venue for wedding photography: Yes. This historic 17th Century hotel set in idyllic surroundings with river frontage is the perfect place for your perfect day. Built from local stone and set in the picture perfect village of Wansford The Haycock provides a beautiful backdrop, warmth, charm and a welcoming atmosphere where guests will feel at ease and wonderful memories will be captured on film.
Local picturesque areas suitable for wedding photography: Yes. SITUATED IN THE PICTURESQUE VILLAGE OF WANSFORD. SURROUNDED BY UNSPOILT CAMBRIDGESHIRE STONE COTTAGES.
Venue special features: The Haycock is well equipped to host wedding parties from 10-240 guests. We offer a variety of rooms suitable for both Civil Ceremonies and Receptions. Our emphasis throughout is on quality of service and attention to detail.
Venue History: The Haycock did not revert to its original calling as an inn until 1928, when it was purchased by local Fotheringhay dairy farmer, Charles Allday, who ran the inn with his sister Evelyn. In 1930, The Haycock changed hands yet again to Phillip Thompson who ran it until 1935. The new proprietors were Ian Drayton and his wife. The licence was transferred to Mrs. Drayton when her husband was called-up for service during the Second World War. During this turbulent period, The Haycock proved a popular watering-hole for the large contingent of American Servicemen who flew from many surrounding fighter and bomber stations.
In 1961, The Haycock was purchased by George Hotels of Stamford Ltd then in 1971 was taken over by Poste Hotels Ltd. In 1999 it was sold by Arcadian Hotels who sold it on to Hand Picked Hotels.
In 2003 The Haycock was purchased by its present owner Mrs Judith Carter who have lovingly restored this fine historic building adding luxurious fittings and furnishings. The Team works tirelessly to ensure The Haycock will be an asset to the beautiful village of Wansford and provides a warm welcome to all who rest or dine behind its beautiful and historic walls.
With grateful thanks to David Stuart-Mogg for his permission to extract the history of The Haycock from his book Wansford At The Millenium printed by Peter Spiegl & Co,Stamford.
Other information: We offer budget wedding from Monday - Friday and Sunday. We also offer Budget wedding in Winter season on Saturday in Jan, Feb & March only.
Recommended by Photographer:- David Moffitt
Brightly colored veils were worn in ancient times in many parts of the world and were considered a protection against evil spirits Greek and Roman brides for yellow or red veils (representing fire) to ward off evil spirits and demons. At one time, Roman brides were completely covered with a red veil for protection. In early European history, with the advent of arranged marriages veils served another purpose - to prevent the groom from seeing the brides' face till after the ceremony was over. Brides began to wear opaque yellow veils. Not only could the groom not see in, the bride could not see out! Therefore, the father of the bride had to escort her down the aisle and literally give the bride to the groom. Nellie Custis, the daughter of Martha Washington, is credited with wearing the first lace veil.