MARWELL Zoological Park
tel:- 01962 777407
fax:- 01962 777511
web address:- www.marwell.org.uk
Marwell Hall :-
Venue type - Historic Building
Other title: Wildlife Park
Number of function rooms available for weddings: 3
Function room names and capacities:
Long room accommodates upto 80 for a civil ceremony and 60 for a sit down meal
Library can accommodate a maximum of 40 for a civl ceremony and 30 for a sit down meal
Woodlock room can accommodate a maximum of 40 for a civil ceremony and 30 for a sit down meal.
Local accommodation: The Marwell Hotel is conveniently located opposite the entrance to Marwell Wildlife and provides the ideal location to stay the night before or after your wedding celebrations.
Choice of wedding breakfast menus - Yes
Alcohol License - Yes
Toastmaster Available - Yes
Entertainment Available - Yes
Dedicated wedding planner available - Yes
Licensed for Civil Ceremonies - Yes
Dance Floor - Yes
Evening Reception Facilities - Yes
Car Parking Facilities - Yes
Entertainment is available: Band, DJ, singers
Wedding services provided: Marwell Hall is the beautiful grade 1 listed building which is located in the heart of Marwell Wildlife. Known previously as Marwell Zoological Park, the park provides one of the most unique backdrops in which to hold your wedding ceremony and reception celebrations. We can accommodate a maximum of 80 for the civil ceremony and 120 for an evening reception.
Gardens or outside locations suitable for wedding photography: The beautiful grounds provide the perfect backdrop and photographers paradise in which to capture memories of your wedding day.
Suitable locations inside the venue for wedding photography: The interior of the grade 1 listed building is graced with three ornate fireplaces and a large decorative staircase which give wonderful interior areas for photographs inside the building. The large sweeping windows also provide a wonderful background for some photographs to be taken.
Venue special features: *Situated in the heart of one of the south coasts most popular and much loved attractions.
Marquee available between the summer months of July - September
Beautiful grounds for photographs
Opportunity to include feeding some of our animals as part of your day.
All inclusive packages and tailor made packages available
Delicious food and extensive wine list
Bookings taken up to 2 years in advance
Venue History: Marwell hall was built in the early 14th century (around 1312) by Walter Woodlock, a relative of the Bishop of Winchester. It was timber framed structure of the type known as a base cruck; in size about 8 metres by 13 metres. Over the centuries many alterations have been made, but the original medieval hall remains as the core of the building.
In the early 1500s ownership passed to the Seymour Family. Henry VIII is said to have been a frequent visitor. Local legend likes us to believe that he and his third wife, Jane Seymour, were married here. Jane Seymour’s son Edward VI is said to have visited the hall, and the royal arms and the initials E.R can be seen carved over the fireplace in the hall.
In 1644 Marwell Hall was the scene of a skirmish between Roundheads and Cavaliers. A newsletter of the times relates that a party of about 200 Cavaliers, having spent much of the day drinking in Winchester, rode out to Marwell to engage a troop of sixty of Waller’s men. In spite of outnumbering the Roundheads by more than three to one, they were routed, and fled back to Winchester.
For some forty years, from 1810-1820 onwards, the Hall was occupied by the Long Family. William Long made considerable alterations to the hall during his time, resulting in the building that stands here today.
The massive Cedar that stands on the lawn at the back of the hall was probably planted by William Long, and is about 200 years old. Its girth is now five and a half metres.
In the middle of the nineteenth century (1851 to 1862) Marwell Hall was owned by a gentleman by the name of John Gully. He survived, but lost, a 64 round boxing match (before the days of the Queensbury rules), trained racehorses at Danebury (but not, it seems at Marwell), had two wives, twenty-four children and became the MP for Pontrefract.
WEARING A WEDDING RING
The reason that the engagement ring and wedding band is worn on the fourth finger of the left hand is because the ancient Egyptians thought that the "vein of love' ran from this finger directly to the heart.