tel:- +44 1935 813 182
fax:- +44 1935 816 727
web address:- www.sherbornecastle.com/
Sherborne Castle :-
Venue type - Stately Home
Number of function rooms available for weddings: Three
Function room names and capacities: The Castle has three rooms licensed for ceremonies; the Solarium, (60 people) and the Tudor Entrance Hall (30 people) within the Castle, and outside, elegantly landscaped within the surrounding lakeside gardens, the beautiful C18th lakeside Orangery (80 people).
The Orangery provides a light and airy setting for Wedding Receptions. It can also accommodate small celebrations of up to 40 guests seated, but is most often used for larger weddings as the reception area to an adjoining lakeside marquee; this marquee arrangement can increase the guest numbers to approximately 200 people.
Garden suitable for marquees: Yes
Car Parking Facilities - Yes
Entertainment is available: The Bride and Groom organise themselves
Wedding services provided: You must make all arrangements for conducting the ceremony itself with the DORSET REGISTRATION SERVICE, through the Superintendent Registrar at Dorchester Register Office
Gardens or outside locations suitable for wedding photography: The Gingko Lawn and lake pier, the Castle and surrounding Gardens make this a truly romantic and magical setting - and a wedding photographer s paradise.
Suitable locations inside the venue for wedding photography: If you are married in one of the rooms inside the castle, then you can be photographed signing the register
Venue special features: Sherborne Castle is a wonderful stately venue for Civil Marriage Ceremonies, Civil Partnerships and Wedding Receptions. Built by Sir Walter Raleigh in 1594, with lake and gardens landscaped by Capability Brown, the Castle and Lakeside Gardens provide both a beautiful and historic setting for a stately home wedding.
Venue History: In 1969, Sherborne Castle opened its doors to the general public. Visitors from all over the world have been attracted to its, outstanding collections of art and furniture, connection to Sir Walter Raleigh and to admire Capabiltity Brown s landscape. Sherborne Castle remains the family home of the Wingfield Digby Family.
Sherborne has had a castle since the 12th Century. Roger Bishop of Salisbury built a castle to the east of the Town to administer the western part of his large diocese. In early Tudor times the Bishops built a small Hunting Lodge in the deer park attached to the Old Castle from which to observe the chase.
Sir Walter Raleigh acquired the Old Castle in 1592. At first he tried to modernize it, but then he built a new house in 1594 in the deer park. It was on the site of the Hunting Lodge which he incorporated into the foundations. His house was rectangular and four stories high, with large square-headed windows filled with diamond pane glass. In 1600 he added hexagonal turrets to the four corners of his house, topped with heraldic beasts. The house was rendered from the outset, in the latest fashion.
In 1617 the diplomat Sir John Digby acquired Sherborne Castle and he added four wings to Raleigh s building, giving the house its present H-shape. He copied the style adopted by Raleigh, of square-headed windows, and balustraded roofs with heraldic beasts, and added hexagonal turrets at the end of each wing, so the house looks of one piece.
In the Civil War the Digbys fought for the Royalist cause and the Old Castle was garrisoned and suffered two sieges. After the second siege in 1645 Col Fairfax and his Parliamentarian army systematically demolished the Old Castle. Thus the name Sherborne Castle came to be applied to the new house in the park.
In the eighteenth century later generations of the Digby family modernised the Tudor house, adding Georgian sash windows, panelled doors and white marble fireplaces and filling the house with fine furniture.
In 1787 an extension was added to the west side of the house which provided more bedrooms and improved staff accommodation and kitchens.
The Victorian period saw only one major re-modelling, in the Solarium (Raleigh s Parlour), reflecting the respect the Wingfield Digby owners held for the antiquity and historical associations of the house. In the First World War the Castle was used as a Red Cross Hospital and it was requisitioned by the Army in the Second World War.
Other information: The venue is offered on a venue only basis and the bride and groom organise everything themselves with the help of the wedding planner.
More Wedding Venues in Dorset
We also have a list of Wedding Cars in Dorset
To update the information for Sherborne Castle please use this form