tel:- +44 1728 746 704
web address:- www.glemhamhall.co.uk
Glemham Hall :-
Venue licensed for civil partnership or wedding ceremonies
Venue type - Historical Building
Venue type - Stately Home
Number of function rooms available for weddings: 2
Function room names and capacities: The Great Hall, available for Civil Ceremonies and Partnerships can accommodate up to 100 people.
Glemham Events Marquee, available for Wedding Receptions/Parties, accommodates up to 200 people.
Garden suitable for marquees: Yes
Local accommodation: The Old Rectory in Campsea Ashe, Sandpit Farm B & B in Bruisyard, The Bell in Saxmundham, plus many more B & Bs/Hotels available in nearby Aldeburgh.
Choice of wedding breakfast menus - Yes
Alcohol License - Yes
Dedicated wedding planner available - Yes
Licensed for Civil Ceremonies - Yes
Outdoor Fireworks Permitted - Yes
Dance Floor - Yes
Evening Reception Facilities - Yes
Car Parking Facilities - Yes
Tables chairs linens and tableware included
Wedding services provided: Events Co-ordinator onsite from Day One of booking, through to your big day, available to help with any queries or questions.
Gardens or outside locations suitable for wedding photography: Yes, we have a fabulous walled Rose Garden, plus an extremley peaceful Herbaceous Garden available for Wedding guests to wander around.
Suitable locations inside the venue for wedding photography: The Great Hall is available for those who have booked a Civil Ceremony.
Local picturesque areas suitable for wedding photography: Surrounding Suffolk Countryside, offers plenty idyllic backdrops for wedding photos.
Venue special features: Great Hall, Walled Rose Garden, Permanent Marquee, Herbaceous Garden.
Venue History: Glemham Hall was built circa 1560 by the de Glemham family, who took their name from nearby Great (Magna) and Little (Parva) Glemham. After a varied history, the Cobbold brewing family purchased the house in 1923; it became the home of Captain John Murray Cobbold - founder and first chairman of Ipswich Town Football Club as a professional club - and his wife Lady Blanche, a daughter of the 9th Duke of Devonshire. Glemham Hall, an elegant, red brick Elizabethan mansion, originally belonged to the Glemham family who took their name from Great Glemham and Little Glemham. Rye's Calendar of the Feet of Fines for Suffolk contains several references to the family, the earliest being William de Glemham in 1228-29. The Glemhams prospered under the Tudors and branched off to the neighbouring manor of Benhall, which was for a time the residence of one of the most colourful members of the family - an Elizabethan seadog named Edward Glemham. While his voyages may have initially brought him some fame, Edward's exploits did not help his financial position; his fortunes declined and he had to sell Benhall.
Meanwhile, Edward's cousin and neighbour, Sir Henry Glemham, was flourishing, and it was Henry who originally created Glemham Hall and made it such a beautiful example of the early Renaissance style. His son, Sir Thomas - who earned himself a reputation as a stubborn fighter during the Civil War - succeeded Henry. Thomas died in 1648 while fighting in Scotland. According to manuscripts, the Glemhams retained the estate until 1708-1709 when it was sold to Dudley North. Dudley's wife, Catherine, was a daughter of Elihu Yale, founder of the famous American University. Elihu was generous with the wealth he accumulated; he endowed the famous American University and was also lavish in his gifts to his family. Glemham Hall obtained many treasures at this time as a result. During the period 1722-1727 considerable structural changes were made, giving it an overall Georgian fagade.
Glemham Hall remained within the North family for more than 200 years. Sir Dudley's male line ended with his grandson (another Dudley North), in 1764. Upon his death, Dudley's sister - the Hon. Mrs. Herbert - succeeded him. She eventually left the estate to her younger sister's son, Mr. Dudley Long who died childless in 1829. The estate reverted to the Norths and became the property of the 8th Earl of Guilford. In 1923 it was purchased by the Cobbold family and became the home of Captain John (known as Ivan) Murray Cobbold and his wife Lady Blanche, daughter of the 9th Duke of Devonshire. Captain Cobbold was killed during WWII; when his wife died in 1987, the estate passed to her son, Patrick. Sadly, he died suddenly in 1994, where upon the present owner, Major Philip Hope Cobbold (Patrick's nephew), inherited the estate and now lives in the house with his wife Raewyn, originally from New Zealand.
Major Hope-Cobbold was born in the Hall in 1943 and attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, and served with the 13th/18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary's Own) until 1992. Today he is a patron of Ipswich Town Football Club and former chairman of the Suffolk Branch of the Farming and Wildlife Advisory Group (FWAG) President for Royal British Legion for Suffolk. He was High Sheriff of Suffolk for 2005/6. For an introduction to the rest of the Cobbold family visit www.cobboldfht.com.
More Wedding Venues in Suffolk
We also have a list of Wedding Cars in Suffolk
To update the information for Glemham Hall please use this form