by Kevin Casha Published 01/04/2017
Leandro Preziosi: Sitting boy and flowers. from the Marion Camilleri collection; Saverio Ciantar Preziosi album).
1. The Telegraph, Obituaries; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9925336/Margaret-Harker.html; Last accessed on 15 February, 2014.
2. Harker, Margaret; Photographers of Malta 1840–1990; Fondazzjoni Patrimonju Malti, 2000. The book is out of print and has become rather a rare find for Melitensia collectors.
3. Harker, Margaret; Photographers of Malta 1840–1990; Fondazzjoni Patrimonju Malti, 2000, page 205. At that time, the monument was locatedat Floriana.
4. The National Archives of Malta is located at Santo Spirito, in Rabat.
5. Published by Fondazzjoni Patrimonju Malti.
6. Cartes-de-Visite are commonly abbreviated as CdV or CDV photographs. These were originally a type of calling card with a photographic portrait mounted on it. Immensely popular in the mid-nineteenth century, the CdV was touted by the Parisian portrait photographer Andre' Adolphe Eugene Disdéri, who had patented the method in 1854. Disdéri used a four-lens camera, which made eight 3.5 by 2.5-inch (8.89 by 6.35 cm) negatives on one full-sized photographic plate. The large print made from that plate was cut up into small portraits, which were separately mounted on cards measuring about 4 by 3 inches (10.1 x 7.6 cm). These cards were inexpensive compared to other forms of portraiture, as eight different poses could be made at one sitting and the images required no retouching. CdVs became a mania and were commonly exchanged on birthdays and holidays; the CdV album became a common feature of Victorian parlours in both Europe and the United States. During the American Civil War, Matthew B. Brady, together with other photographers, did a booming business with them in Washington and New York. The fashion for CdVs peaked in the 1860s. The CdVs of celebrities and royalty remain prized collectors’ items till this very day. Source: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/97197/carte-de-visite. Last accessed January, 2014.
The Societies of Photographers Convention and Trade Show at The Novotel London West, Hammersmith ...
You have 98 days until The Societies of Photographers Convention starting on Wednesday 22nd January 2020